A Volunteer Community Aid Project with UnitingWorld, Australia.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

First Week

Well I've managed to enjoy the first week here and settling in to a routine now. I've been made welcome by so many new people it's amazing; very humbling. I still miss home though but now having a phone that works at last means I am able to contact home and I feel more secure knowing all is well there also.
My work is in the RAK building opposite my accommodation where the women do craft work, learn new skills and outreach programs are run from. Following a visit to a monthly Women's Fellowship meeting where I stayed overnight to address the women about the work I will be doing, our small team has request to visit three villages the first one we commence tomorrow.
I have been appointed a young women to learn my skills in health promotion, which I am really excited about, she will be helping with translation as we discuss the five topics chosen by this village. The topics will reproduction, menstrual cycles and problems, childhood illness and diabetes. As these topics are so large I can only skim over the surface but hopefully it will lead to individual questions and answers.
The female reproduction apron will be given it's debut tomorrow along with Sian's felt diagram of the menstrual cycle. Thanks again for everyone's support and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment